Not all of us are professional copywriters. However, every one of us is an expert in something. It may be our line of work, it may be a hobby or it might just be our favorite TV show.
One thing I always emphasize with clients is the overwhelming importance of information marketing. Blogging is a key component of that. Here’s a list of my tips for effective blogging (even if you don’t write for a living.)
- Keep it short. it is much easier to be engaging and keep your reader’s attention if your post is short. Most of the time, you can get your message across in less than 250 words
- Use bullet points and numbered lists. They are much easier to read. They also make it easier to most multiple thoughts without trying to transition from one to the next.
- Keep your paragraphs short. For the same reason that bullet points in blog posts are highly effective, you should also strive to keep your paragraphs short. Not only are they easier to read, you’ll likely eliminate redundancy.
- Link like crazy. Including links to other sites and blogs around the web will only help to reinforce your point and increase your own credibility.
- Don’t shy away from sharing opinions. People like blogs because they are written by people. Including opinions (as long as they aren’t entirely controversial) will help to humanize you and in turn humanize your brand.
- Don’t forget to edit. Even the most seasoned professionals read and reread what they write. You can always make it better.